This week, we get real rugged with our ode to camping! Full of tin foil dinners, meat granola bars, improvising barware, “postmatesing” liquor and lighting things on fire. Plus grammar and vocabulary lessons (non-camping related). Check out the full episode here!
Ingredients featured in this week’s episode:
In preparation of camping this summer, Amanda tried out her camp cooking skills in the Fearless Flying Kitchen. Although, she doesn’t really ever go camping and thinks you can just throw packets of foil into the open fire (that’s how it works, right?)
We combine sweet and savory with these delicious peach and hatch green Chile foil packets. When we don’t have camping on the brain, we’ll make these again, but without the tin foil (since cooking with aluminum –> ingesting aluminum in your food –> not the best way to prepare meals on the daily) and instead bake in a pyrex dish. When peaches aren’t in season, you could even use canned or frozen (thawed) peaches.
Chile-Cheese Rice & Sausage Foil Packets
Recipe by Amanda Hibshman, RDN
- One bag of microwavable brown rice
- One can of diced green chiles
- 2 Tbsp Nonfat Greek yogurt
- One Peach, diced
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder 1 tsp
- 1 package smoked, apple chardonnay sausage, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Combine bag of brown rice with can of chiles and microwave for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, dice peach and add to rice and chiles after being microwaved. Add to that mozzarella, salt, pepper, Greek yogurt, and garlic salt.
- Get your sheets of foil ready. Add a portion of the rice mixture and top with a couple slices of sausage. Divide all the ingredients evenly between 5 or 6 tin foil sheets. Wrap up and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. OR you could just toss it in a camp fire (we’re assuming this will work?)
- If you want to use a pyrex dish, we recommend mixing the sausages in with the rice mixture and placing in an 8X12 glass baking dish and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
Smores Vodka Cocktail
Recipe by Amanda Hibshman, RDN
- One ounce coffee syrup
- 1 small scoop vanilla ice cream*
- Two ounces of vodka**
- 1 Tbsp chocolate syrup
- 2 Tbsp Half and Half
- Ice for shaking
- Glass Rimming: Chocolate syrup and crushed graham crackers, marshmallows
- Add ingredients to a shaker (or two zoo cups) and cover and shake until combined.
- Get a fire source and toast your marshmallow
- Get two smaller plates or bowls. Add chocolate syrup to one and crushed graham crackers to the other. Grab a glass and place the rim in the chocolate syrup, then the graham crackers. Strain cocktail into glass. Top with roasted marshmallow.
*You really don’t need this. It is what we did, must most of it stayed with the ice when we strained it. If you really want this to be like dessert, you can put a little vanilla ice cream in your glass after rimming and before straining into it. Or save some fat and calories and leave it out. You won’t miss it.
** We just had a regular vodka, but a flavored vodka would be delicious here too! Try a whipped cream or marshmallow flavor and let us know how it goes in the comments.